Friday, October 16, 2009

WHALE-WATCHING: Field Guides to the latest trend in band names/&& SLEEP WHALE MP3s

While I didn't play each and every one of these multitudinous new bands with 'whale' in the title, I sort of called this trend a couple weeks back on my second show.

[via Stereogum] Here is an alphabetized field guide to the ocean of new 'whale' bands: Letters A-O here, and the rest here.

Of these bands I'd like to introduce you to:
SLEEP WHALE
I played Sleep Whale on Thalassique on 10/4. Their whole album Houseboat is quintessential thalassic music so I feel obligated to direct your attention to it. From rain samples and slower, ambient tracks to upbeat pop songs where melodies make their way through hazy layered sounds, it's a good listen and I'll be playing them again in a month's time.

In the meantime check out these Sleep Whale Mp3s floating around the internet:
"Josh Likes Me" MP3
"Cotton Curls" MP3
"We Were Dripping" MP3 (as heard on Thalassique)

Bon week-end!
See you Sunday on WNYU.ORG.

No comments:

Post a Comment